Saturday, June 24th the Department of Anesthesiology matriculated 8 fellows and 18 residents. The graduation and award ceremony began with an afternoon reception at the Discovery Center at the University of Wisconsin Madison Central campus.
Fellows, residents, department members, and families were greeted by Department Chair, Kelly McQueen, MD, MPH, FASA, former Residency Program Director, Christopher Darling, DO and Residency Program Director, Eric Simon, MD. Faculty mentors presented each graduate with their framed diploma, along with thoughtful speeches of heartfelt reminiscing of each graduate’s time at the University of Wisconsin.
The graduation also included the presentation of 9 awards. The first award, Non-UW Faculty Teacher of the Year was awarded to Carrie Schroeder, DVM. CA1-3 residents recognize a non-UW faculty member for exemplary teaching of medical knowledge, technical skills, and clinical judgment.
Christopher Cassara, MD accepted the second award of the evening, the Teacher of the Year Award from Lucas Skoda, DO. CA1-3 residents award this to a UW faculty anesthesiologist in recognition of exemplary teaching of medical knowledge, technical skills, and clinical judgment.
Next, the Clinical Role Model Award was presented to Christopher Darling, DO. CA3 residents select a UW faculty anesthesiologist after whom they will model their own practice, and who demonstrates dedication and selflessness in their service to their patients, loyalty to their colleagues, and commitment to activities within the department and outside of UW.
The Virginia Apgar Award was presented to McKenzee Murdock, DO by Chief Resident, Lucas Skoda, DO. This historical award is given by the chief residents in consultation with the Program Director and Chair of the Department in recognition of a resident whose enthusiasm, kindness, and skill are an inspiration to their fellow residents.
Brandon Hernandez, MD accepted the Resident Teacher of Medical Students Award. This graduating class resident who receives this award has most frequently been mentioned in evaluations of the anesthesiology clerkship as an outstanding teacher of medical students and role model.
Outstanding Senior Resident was awarded to Lucas Skoda, DO by Christopher Darling, DO. The Department faculty vote annually on their choice of a resident of the year in the graduating class. The resident recipient demonstrates excellent clinical work and academic performance but also embodies professionalism, teamwork, and interpersonal skills that all of us strive to achieve.
The Fellow of the Year was presented to Robert Pellicer, DO by Kristopher Schroeder, MD, FASA. This award is given to a fellow in either an accredited or non-accredited fellowship that demonstrates enthusiasm, commitment, academic excellence, and clinical distinction.
Elizabeth Petesch, DO accepted the first ever Elizabeth Townsend White Cloud of Learning Award. This award is given to the resident who seemed to attract the most complex and unique cases during residency. This was presented by Elizabeth Townsend, MD herself!
Lastly, Fellow Teach of the Year was presented to Karel Valenta, MD by Lucas Skoda, DO. This is awarded by the PGY-1 and CA1-3 residents to one UW Department of Anesthesiology Fellow to recognize both modeling and teaching medical knowledge, technical skills, and clinical judgement.
The Department of Anesthesiology is proud to present the graduating class of 2023!
Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- Karel Valenta, MD post-fellowship plans at a private practice.
- Stuart Feichtinger, MD post-fellowship plans at UWHC as faculty.
Regional and Acute Pain Anesthesiology
- John Silva, MD
- Robert Pellicer, DO post-fellowship plans Faculty at Northwest Anesthesia Physicians in Eugene, Oregon.
Critical Care Anesthesiology
- Brittney Supp, DO post-fellowship plans include a Cardiothoracic Fellowship at Main Medical Center.
- Ayden Zarkhah, MD post-fellowship plans include an Adult Cardiothoracic Fellowship at UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology.
- Brian Cacioppo, MD post-fellowship plans Faculty at UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology
- Carl Kirchner, MD post-fellowship plans at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans.
Residency Graduates Post-Residency Plans
- Mark Abellera, MD – USAP in Seattle.
- Jacob Al-Kharusy, MD – Trinity Health St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI.
- Scott Blaine, DO -Meriter Hospital.
- Manuchehr Habibi, MD – private practice in Dallas, Texas.
- Allie Heizelman, MD – Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Brandon Hernandez, MD – Anesthesiology Adult Cardiothoracic and Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Michigan.
- Coleen Hurd, DO – Physician Anesthesia Services in Colorado.
- Dana Lowry, DO – Medical Center Anesthesiologists in Des Moines, Iowa.
- McKenzee Murdock, DO – Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship at UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology
- Nathan Needham, DO – Avent Health in Orlando, Florida.
- James Nellen, MD – Regional and Acute Pain Fellowship at UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology.
- Elizabeth Petesch, DO – Wausau Private – Central Wisconsin Anesthesiology.
- Benjamin Schessler, MD – Regional and Acute Pain Fellowship, UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology
- Andrew Should, MD – Anesthesia Associates of Kansas City in Kansas City, MO.
- Lucas Skoda, DO – Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship, UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology.
- William Stewart, MD – Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
- Daniel Trujillo, MD – Community Medical Anesthesia Consultants in Fresno, California.
- Marcus Wilson, DO – Regional and Acute Pain Fellowship, UW-Madison, School of Medicine Public Health, Department of Anesthesiology.